The Best First Dance Songs of All Time
Why The First Dance is so important
The first dance is a pivotal moment in your night. You want to make a lasting impression on your guests, and choose a song that is intimate and meaningful between you and your partner. It’s meant to encapsulate the relationship that you two share, as well as the fulfilling life that you plan on making for yourselves. As a reflection of your personalities, and a nod to the bond that you two share, you will want to pick a song that you can look back on and remember for years to come.
But how do you go about choosing the song that’s best for you? Every couple is different. Some may opt into a classic, romantic tune, while others may tap into their country roots. Don’t feel like you have to choose a certain genre just because you think that’s how it should be done. Your wedding is your night, and the first dance song choice is no exception.
If you’re a bit overwhelmed with choices, or are completely lost on which song to choose, you are not along. Consider the following choices, or use these options for inspiration.
The Popular Classics
- Can’t Help Falling in Love – Elvis Presely. This romantically traditional song will ensure that there is not a dry eye in the house. It’s intimate, loving, and an excellent way to express your love. Plus, this song has been around for so long that there’s a good chance this song was incorporated into your parent’s wedding too.
- Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeren. Ed really knows how to garner emotion. An excellent choice for displaying your everlasting love for one another through a modern pop ballad.
- You Are the Best Thing – Ray LaMontagne. An anthem that is perfect for those looking for a more upbeat tune. It’s still an incredibly romantic choice, and it will get the crowd all warmed up to hit the dance floor.
For the Country Lover
- Golden Hour – Kacey Musgraves. Soft yet upbeat, this lovely song is an excellent choice to play with a setting sun as your backdrop.
- You Make it Easy – Jason Aldean. If this particular version isn’t quite your style, it’s been covered tons of times. Spend some time listening to the remade versions, and you’re sure to find the right fit.
- Amazed – Lonestar. A country balled dedicated to spending the rest of your life by your best friend’s side.
- Your Song – Elton John. An extremely simple, yet heart-warming choice. Elton John beautifully strings together lyrics that delicately explain the power of love.
- Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You – Frankie Valli. You really can’t go wrong with anything from the Four Seasons. But if you’re looking for a modern day twist on this age-old classic, Lauryn Hill’s version is absolutely breathtaking.
- Fly Me to The Moon – Frank Sinatra. Sinatra’s powerful voice will instantly fill up the entire venue. A ballad like this one is a perfect way to start off a long and happy marriage.
Crowd Pleasing Indie Hits
- Wonderwall – Oasis. This 90’s smash hit is still played on the radio regularly. You’ll have the whole crowd swaying along with you, mouthing every lyric.
- I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) – Sleeping At Last. Slowing down this 80’s pop classic really accentuates its meaning and allows us to focus on the lyrics. And honestly, everyone should have a partner that is willing to walk 1,000 miles for them.
- Better Together – Jack Johnson. Johnson’s easy going sounds are perfect for anyone hosting beach side nuptials. It’s a song that’s fun to dance to, and is an excellent choice for the couple looking for a light-hearted approach.
Let’s Rock Out
- In My Life – The Beatles. In My LIfe is a great blend of powerful lyrics, but upbeat music. Opting for The Beatles is sure to please the crowd, no matter the age.
- Just the Way you Are – Billy Joel. A song that reassures your partner that you accept them fully, just the way they are.
- Wild Horses – The Rolling Stones. A promise that assures your partner that you’ll be there for them through anything, and that nothing can tear them apart from this bond.
Give It Soul
- Stand By Me – Ben E. King. A simple reminder that marriage is about supporting your partner, and that you will stand by them through all of life’s difficult moments.
- If I Ain’t Got You – Alicia Keys Feat. Usher. We all need to be reminded that life is not worth living if you don’t have your partner by your side.
- La Vie En Rose – Edith Piaf. You can never go wrong with this age old classic. It’s incredibly romantic and sure to set the mood for the night.
There are alot of hits out there! But you have to pick the first dance song that represents you.
Maybe something that has meaning to you, or something you love!
The first dance can be anything too, fun, sad, touching,
It’s your day to be done the way you want to.